Monday, October 8, 2007

Longhorn Tri - Recap

They even had cows at the finish!! (Sorry "Longhorns")

The Longhorn Triathlon Festival was a good time. We rolled into Austin on Friday afternoon, and hit the expo. I was wearing my Buffalo Springs 70.3 Race t-shirt from 2006, and Mike Greer(Race Director) thanked me and gave me the finisher shirt from the 07’ race. I’m not sure if I can wear it, I didn’t do the race this year, but maybe b/c the RD gave it to me, I can. It’s a cool shirt. We picked up our packets with the free rice a roni, and headed to feed the belly. After dinner, I camped out on Jason’s Mom’s floor until reveille at 0430, and I slept like a puppy. Thank you Jason and your Mom.

Saturday Morning was the Olympic Distance and the Sprint Race. I was excited to be a spectator, because I have never watched a triathlon before. It was weird being on the sideline, and I wanted to race bad, but it was also fun to watch my friend’s race. Trent “The Intimidator” Stephens had a great race with a 2nd Overall at the sprint. Kelly Carrington and Chris Sustala, battled the tough Olympic distance, and finished with great times and overall places. The rest of the day was good, but it was tough being on my legs in the sun all day, and I really wanted to take a nap. That never happened. Then I got bit by a fire ant on my left foot right where the collar of my shoe sits, I was pissed, as it swelled up. Finally I got a shower in, and headed to Macaroni Grill and ate 5 loaves of bread, and a bowl of pasta. It was fantastic. But, I felt really tired, and almost nervous that I hadn’t rested enough the day before the race. I barely made it into bed before passing out at 930.

I did not want to wake up the day of the race, I was sleepy. Thank god Lisa dragged me out of bed. Out the door, gas station for gatorade and coffee, and we were there. As we arrive, the race site was bustling. People everywhere, dogs all over the place, they really did a great job on the venue. Running around getting finding sun block before the start was a memory i have. Thank god i found some, because the sun definately came out.
Im the one on the top left, who looks like hes wasting alot of energy trying to fly out of the water
As I waded in the 85 degree water, without a wetsuit, i felt like i was harry potter being pulled down to the bottom of the lake by savage plants, the hydrilla was crazy. It was truly nasty, but the hydrilla faded away after the first buoy. The swim felt long, and there were alot of people in the water, seeing that i was in the 5th wave. The concessus was that, the swim was long. I got out of the water a hair over 29 minutes, and ran up the hill to transition. That hill was such a slap in the face.

T1-I was in and out, and on the course. Immediatly, I felt good on the bike. I knew it was a long, hilly ride(57miles), so I paced myself ringing in 10 mile markers every 24-25 minutes feeling good. I was so excited, because I thought I was going to ride a sub 2:30 bike split, but the last five miles were up hill, and it didn't happen. It was a great bike course, with a single loop. I injested 6 gels, and my stomach was doing good. Climbing the last hill into transition, I was thoroughly sick of riding, and ready to run. I dismounted a lil' over 2:33, and was happy. I came into T2 in 60th place! I was so happy with my bike split I forgot I had to run a half marathon. I was the only bike on the rack!



Then, the race began. The sun came out around mile 50 on the bike, and it really started to cook. This became the hardest run I have ever done. The two loop run course was made up of hills, hills, and more hills, not to mention no shade. It was a 5k on the road, then a 5k on a dry trail, then do it again. There was no way to get a rythm, it was pretty torturous. I thought I would easily break 4:30, which was my goal, but I faded as the run went on, and could not keep a pace going up the last grassy hill, which was more like stadium steps. As I rounded the turn into the uphill finishing shoot, I heard Adam from Jack and Adam's in Austin announce, 15th across the line! It didn't really sink in, because I wanted it to be over so bad, but I had started twenty minutes back.



















And, I was done. Absolutely done, so went straight to the medical tent. As I hobbled to the tent, Phillip(Owner and Operator of Sugar Cycles) grabbed my wrist, looked at my watch, and said,"U went 4:34?", I looked down, and said, "No, probably 4:33", Phillip then told me, "The winner went 4:30!" I was exstatic, but truly delerious, and couldn't talk.




















I ended up running a hair over 1:27 on that brutal course, and was okay with that. It was the second fastes run of the day, so Ill take it, and a total time of 4:33 and change. I got Second Place Overall, and 1st Place Amateur. At the awards ceremony, they pointed out that I was not a Pro. I smiled.


A big thanks to Phillip from Sugar for helping us all out this weekend. And my coach, Janda, thank you for all you do to get me stronger and more confident in this never ending endeavor, triathlon.

7 comments:

BigSweetDaddy said...

Sounds like you need to do some more carb-loading at the Flying Saucer to build up your endurance for these things.

Jane said...

Hey - great race report! And great photos! Your blogging skills are coming along nicely. I luv seeing you win stuff. It's v.v. cool

pinkgurugal said...

liam you had an amazing race..yeah those pics take a long ass time to enter but it is so much fun to see them and read your report at the same time.

big sweet daddy: i need a beer. will you buy me one ? :)

Jane said...

Just some observations:
1. at Macaroni Grill - you actually own a shirt?? with a collar?!?
2. in the 9th pic, the guy the background looks like he's running for the porta potty.
3. Philip said the ice packs were actually on your balls and not your legs. sorry to hear about that.

Anonymous said...

Liam- Luke here. congrats on kicking ass last weekend. Hope the CG isn't smoking your ass too much. I found out about your aspirin question- take 1 baby aspirin every sunday for your heart big guy (that's how long it takes your body to get rid of it).

Anonymous said...

Good race re-cap. You kicked ass and it was awesome to watch you race. The weekend overall was one to remember. Btw-whoever took those pics is really talented with a camera.

Liam O'Connell said...

oh yea, a huge thanks to kelly, and philip for taking great pics.

baby asparin dr. luke? im still not sold on the idea
good luck in dallas!