Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back to the Pool

I was involved with a Master's team down in Texas last spring, and it was good in the sense that it got me to swim. But, it was a lot of junk, 25s and 50s. with no real coaching.

This past summer i came home and spent about 5 weeks executing mostly long great open water swimming. which really helped me in cancun, and got me back feeling confident about my swim fitness.

if there is one thing lacking about my triathlon training it is entirely my fault. it is my disdain for getting into a pool alone to do a workout.

solution: back in Gloucester, MA and swimming with my high school US Swim Team North Shore Swim Club. I swam with Dan and Tony throughout high school and was a decent swimmer. The thought of returning brought nostalgic smiles to my face, and a familiar group of water-phobic butterflies in my belly. i knew it was going to hurt. i also knew it would work.

i have been hitting north shore for about two weeks consistently now, and i am excited for the swim in clearwater. it has been hard, quality, and do-able. there has been no junk.

finding something that works for you in this sport is huge. this will work for me, and i am excited about it, yes when i hear dan spout, "Main Set" I get nervous, but i know it is worth it and i can handle it.

3 comments:

AJ said...

you're a good swimmer! you get nervous about the workouts!?! hmmm...that's encouraging :)

when you heading down to FL?

Liam O'Connell said...

haha
they are pretty intense. as Greg Lemond said,
"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"

i am flying in thursday! you guys?

AJ said...

nice. i like that!

we get in thursday around 7:30 pm.

will be great to see ya! matt's looking forward to hangin' too.