Tuesday, February 19, 2008

This - It works

So...About a year ago while I was working at Tri On the Run, I met Mandy, a local yoga instructor. She was trying to sell me on the whole yoga addition to my triathlon training, and she spilt her coffee. I told Mandy I would think about it, and months and months pass, as I continued to tell Mandy, I am thinking about it. She was very persistent about me trying this thing, and finally, lastnight I did.

The verdict is...She was wright(haha)....



After totally embaressing myself in front of the whole class, I can now tell you what I think about triathletes doing yoga. I am so tight, I can't even sit indian style, touch my toes, or perform the downward dog with flat feet. During the class, the instructor walked us through each pose, in to the correct form. I could not do any of it correct, but thankfully, she gave us an alternate pose. She continually said, if you can't fully get it, do this...then she showed us. "This" is what I did throughout the entire class. But, "this" worked.



First off, the flexability issues are totally adressed. Most runners don't stretch, let alone stretch enough. Yoga truly allows you to build your elasticity. Additionally, the leg strength gained is remarkable. It is equal! Triathletes, especially ones with leg length descrepancies(me), have compensation issues. So, some leg muscles go unattended, and even inflamed. I found that, my muscular leg weaknesses became so obvious during the session. So, allow me to work on this. This is going to help me with my strength descrepanicies and flexability.

Thank you Mandy, and JOY YOGA CENTER . Mandy teaches a class for runner's on Sunday Morning.

So, triathletes, get some yoga on!






Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

AJ said...

sweet...stick with THIS!
and if you stretch several times/day, in a few months your friends will think you're a circus freak or something and you'll wonder why your workouts aren't leaving you as trashed anymore. I've only just discovered this myself in the last year.

Shaun said...

Haha, Liam you are a circus freak!

Awesome, can I join your circus and be the lion tamer or something like that?