Tuesday, July 10, 2007

TEXAS HEAT IS BACK !

Holy crap it is hot out today. With the past few weeks of rain, i almost forgot how hot Texas summers are. It is hot here. I went out for a 7.5 mile run today at high noon during my lunch break, and it was painful. My legs felt great, but my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest, and roll down the street resembling a fried egg! I think that has to do with the corn muffin, and two egg and cheese on a bagel i ate shorty before the run. I hate that feeling. It was 92 degrees, with a 102 degree heat index!

i felt good when it was done, i jumped in the pool and got back to work ;( my body heat was so high, i didn't want to eat for over eight hours. this evening, i got in a nice 90 min spin, and now it is time to chill in the commune. tuesdays aren't too bad.

speaking of my spin, i need to mention cadence. a couple months ago, philip from sugar cycles saw my bike on top of my car. it was the first time we met, and he remarked on how i was a typical triathlete with my gears all the way down my cassette. as he giggled, he asked what my cadence was? cadence? i had no clue, what do i look like, a roadie? i don't draft!
it turns out, after we put a cat eye double wireless computer on my bike, that my cadence was part of my bike split problem.....

i was averaging high 60's for my tempo pace!! killing my legs, and just pumping lactic acid through them, with no chance of flushing it out. how could i ever accelerate when i was getting passed if i was already lactic and pushing only 67rpm? so, i learned about cadence...

you need a high cadence to be able to ride/race fast. like 90-95, this will allow you to accelerate and be much easier on your legs. especially for triathletes that can run, your legs are used to a quick lactic turnover, so whip up your cadence! another thing i learned, you need a cadence meter. my coach prescribes certain cadences, and i thought i was following it correctly. WRONG, you need a meter.

in other news, it feels good to be back rolling with training....i got back to work this week. i had a week of taper, race, and then a recovery week to rest the body after a long 6 week cycle, and i was losing my mind. i was so bored the other day, i went grocery shopping. i am excited to back into the swing of things this week.

full week...keep training...

No comments: